Free Consultation Privilege Voucher
Download your privilege voucher – now entitling you to a free consultation at our practice in Leighton Buzzard.
Why consider tooth whitening?
Research has shown that a beautiful smile not only makes you more attractive to others but can even improve your job prospects! A coy hand-over-the-mouth approach may work among friends but, like it or not, in a one-to-one interview that smile is going to show.
These are some of the most common reasons for having teeth whitened:
- Social situations – wanting to look good when at parties or out with friends.
- Holidays – happy holiday snaps look even brighter when your smile dazzles!
- Self-confidence – boost your confidence and bring out the best in yourself.
- Dating – “I know I’ll enjoy talking to someone more if I have a nice, white smile.”
- Comments – perhaps comments from friends and family are making you feel self-conscious.
- Youthfulness – we all want to look and feel young and healthy.
Which teeth whitening system do we recommend?
Teeth whitening should always be carried out under the professional supervision of a dentist. The treatment includes custom-made upper and lower trays and a kit of 10 Polanight Whitening gel tubes. This tray whitening system has been well researched over recent years, as well as being tried and tested by us, and has been proven to work safely. Due to the quality of the product and the precise fit of the trays, this system is more effective and predictable than over-the-counter teeth whitening kits.
Download a free information pack
This 25-page report is full of extremely useful information and is ideal reading if you’re thinking about having any kind of cosmetic surgery.
- The costs and lowest price alternatives
- Your options and choices for treatment
- Are you suitable for treatment?
- How do the different treatments compare to one another?
- How long does treatment take?
- Plus lots more …
How does the teeth whitening process work?
Your precision, custom-made teeth whitening trays will be used to hold the whitening gel against your teeth. The active ingredient in the gel is carbamide peroxide (we also use hydrogen peroxide). The peroxide sets off a chemical oxidation reaction which breaks down the staining compounds that find their way into the slightly porous outer layer of your teeth.
As long as this process is carried out under the guidance of a dentist it is extremely safe.
7 steps to whiter teeth
- STEP 1: Visit your dentist.
- STEP 2: Have your custom-fitting mouth trays made by your dentist.
- STEP 3: Take the teeth whitening gel out of the sterile medical packaging. Apply a tiny amount of gel – about the size of half a grain of rice per tooth – to the inside of the trays.
- STEP 4: Leave the dental trays in your mouth for 1 hour 30 minutes (carbamide peroxide), or 30 minutes (hydrogen peroxide).
- STEP 5: Remove the trays and rinse your mouth with cold water.
- STEP 6: Gently brush your teeth with your normal toothpaste.
- STEP 7: You must wait for at least 2 hours before eating, drinking, or smoking.
Is teeth whitening safe?
The simple answer to this is yes. Teeth whitening when done under the professional guidance of the dentist is perfectly safe. This is due to the following:
- Your dentist will ensure that you are dentally fit to undergo teeth whitening and that your gums and teeth are suitable.
- Your dentist will provide you with custom fitting trays which fit you perfectly to ensure that the active bleaching gel only goes on your teeth and does not accidentally touch your delicate gums.
- Dentists will provide ongoing care in the event that the whitening does not work out as you expect, example if your teeth are particularly sensitive.
- Non-qualified personnel such as beauty therapists do not have adequate training to understand the complex nature of the oral environment, particularly dental diseases or previous dental treatments (such as crowns or veneers) which may inhibit the effectiveness of any whitening procedure.
When does teeth whitening not work?
Typical times when teeth whitening may not be as effective include:
- If you don’t go to the dentist and attempt another form of home or salon based whitening. Only a dental practice is legally licensed to use whitening gels with a concentration of peroxide that actually gives a noticeable result.
- You have dental crowns or veneers. Dental crowns and veneers will not reach the same as teeth. If you have this type of restoration you may need to consider having replaced to match your whitened natural teeth.
- If your teeth are particularly sensitive. With highly sensitive teeth you may not be able to leave the whitening trays in for long enough, if you think you may be affected by this please discuss with your dentist.
- Your teeth are particularly dark. If, for example you have a tooth which has died it may be extremely dark. In this instance your dentist may consider ‘internal bleaching’ of the tooth or perhaps providing a crown or veneer to cover the dark tooth.
If you think you may be affected by any of the above, please mention this to our dentist when you come in for your consultation.
I would like whiter teeth, what should I do first?
The first step to enjoying whiter teeth is to visit our dental practice in Leighton buzzard. We will ensure that your teeth are suitable for whitening and that your gums are healthy.
We offer a free consultation for all cosmetic treatments, at this consultation we can assess your suitability for whitening, provide a full costing and discuss any concerns you have.
To request a free consultation please complete the form at the top of this page.