Free Consultation Privilege Voucher
Worth up to £45
Download your privilege voucher now entitling you to a free consultation at our practice in Leighton Buzzard.
Why consider tooth whitening?
Research has shown that a beautiful smile doesn’t only make you more attractive to others, it can even improve your job prospects! A coy ‘hand over the mouth’ approach may work among friends but like it or not, in a one-to-one interview that smile is just going to show.
These are some common reasons for wanting to have teeth whitening:
- Socially wanting to look good at parties with friends
- Before going away on holidays – Happy holiday snaps become more amazing
- Boosting your self-confidence to bring out the best in yourself
- Dating – “I know I will enjoy more talking to someone with a nice, bright smile”
- Comments from friends & family making you feel self-conscious
- Wanting to look more youthful – we all love to look and feel young all the time.
What teeth whitening system do we recommend?
Teeth whitening should always be offered under the professional supervision of a dentist. The treatment includes upper and lower custom made trays and a kit of 10 Polanight Whitening gel tubes. This tray whitening system is tried and tested by us and has been proven to work safely, with adequate research over the last few years. This system is more predictable and effective compared to over the counter kits, due to the quality of the product and the precise fit of the trays.
How does the teeth whitening process work?
Your custom-made and precision teeth whitening trays will be used to hold the whitening gel against your teeth. The active ingredient in the gel is carbamide peroxide, the peroxide sets off a chemical oxidation reaction breaking down the staining compounds which manage to get into the slightly porous outer layer of your tooth. We also use hydrogen peroxide.
So long as this process is carried out under the guidance of the dentist it is extremely safe.
7 Steps to Whiter Teeth
- STEP 1: Visit your dentist.
- STEP 2: Have your custom fitting mouth trays made by your dentist.
- STEP 3: Take teeth whitening gel out of sterile medical packaging. Apply the gel to the inside of the trays using a very tiny amount; half a grain or rice per tooth.
- STEP 4: Leave dental trays in mouth for 1 hour 30 minutes (carbamide peroxide) 30 minutes (hydrogen peroxide).
- STEP 5: Take trays out of mouth and rinse mouth with cold water.
- STEP 6: Softly brush teeth with your normal toothpaste.
- STEP 7: You must wait for at least 2 hours before you drink, eat or smoke
Is teeth whitening safe?
The simple answer to this is yes. Teeth whitening when done under the professional guidance of the dentist is perfectly safe. This is due to the following:
- Your dentist will ensure that you are dentally fit to undergo teeth whitening and that your gums and teeth are suitable.
- Your dentist will provide you with custom fitting trays which fit you perfectly to ensure that the active bleaching gel only goes on your teeth and does not accidentally touch your delicate gums.
- Dentists will provide ongoing care in the event that the whitening does not work out as you expect, example if your teeth are particularly sensitive.
- Non-qualified personnel such as beauty therapists do not have adequate training to understand the complex nature of the oral environment, particularly dental diseases or previous dental treatments (such as crowns or veneers) which may inhibit the effectiveness of any whitening procedure.
When does teeth whitening not work?
Typical times when teeth whitening may not be as effective include:
- If you don’t go to the dentist and attempt another form of home or salon based whitening. Only a dental practice is legally licensed to use whitening gels with a concentration of peroxide that actually gives a noticeable result.
- You have dental crowns or veneers. Dental crowns and veneers will not reach the same as teeth. If you have this type of restoration you may need to consider having replaced to match your whitened natural teeth.
- If your teeth are particularly sensitive. With highly sensitive teeth you may not be able to leave the whitening trays in for long enough, if you think you may be affected by this please discuss with your dentist.
- Your teeth are particularly dark. If, for example you have a tooth which has died it may be extremely dark. In this instance your dentist may consider ‘internal bleaching’ of the tooth or perhaps providing a crown or veneer to cover the dark tooth.
If you think you may be affected by any of the above, please mention this to our dentist when you come in for your consultation.
I would like whiter teeth, what should I do first?
The first step to enjoying whiter teeth is to visit our dental practice in Leighton buzzard. We will ensure that your teeth are suitable for whitening and that your gums are healthy.
We offer a free consultation for all cosmetic treatments, at this consultation we can assess your suitability for whitening, provide a full costing and discuss any concerns you have.
To request a free consultation please complete the form at the top of this page.