We pride ourselves on patient care and work especially hard with nervous patients to ensure their visit will be as positive as possible. Many of our patients are nervous of dentists and usually with good reason. One bad experience can put people off for life and more often than not it is down to anaesthetic problems. Many fear that they are out of control, that the dentist is rushing and not listening. We have many systems in place to help people deal with these issues.
1. Firstly we invite nervous patients to just come and have a look around the practice, meet the staff and get used to the surgeries. You can also book a free of charge consultation to have a 10 minute chat with a dentist to explain any fears or apprehensions about treatment.
2. We allocate a lot of time for our patients so we don’t ever have to rush a procedure. This gives us plenty of time to discuss treatment options and reassure patients throughout.
3. All our dentists will stop immediately if you raise your hand. If you feel nervous or uncomfortable at any time, treatment will stop. This means our patients are always in control.
4. If patients are really nervous then in-house intravenous sedation with our visiting sedationist Etienne Deysel is a fantastic option.
5. We like answering questions! Any questions, however silly they may seem to you, will be answered fully. We find talking patients through a procedure makes them less stressed as they know what is happening, why it’s happening and what will happen next. On the other hand if you prefer not to know then just relax and listen to the radio! Talking to us will help us understand your needs and keep you relaxed and happy.
We offer really nervous patients in-house intravenous sedation. Intravenous sedation enables even the most nervous patients to have all dental treatments carried out. Patients are still able to communicate whilst under sedation and fully conscious, but will feel relaxed and calm. After treatment, patients remember very little of the treatment that has been carried out as it often has an amnesic effect. As with all sedation, patients need to be escorted home by a responsible adult chaperone.
Stuart Holcroft is a mind coach with over 10 years of experience helping his clients to live fabulous lives without fears, phobias, negative emotions or false beliefs that stop them from living the life that they truly deserve. Stuart works closely with our patients that have dental phobias to help them overcome their fears. For more information ask our team when you next come in or visit his website.
Human Givens therapy combines proven therapeutic techniques with the most up-to-date psychological knowledge to relieve emotional distress and help you move on as quickly as possible. They offer five free sessions with a Human Givens Life Coach or access to a local Human Givens therapist at a reduced cost. Visit their website.